PERSPECTIVES OF SAN DIEGO PEDIATRICIANS REGARDING COVID-19 AND RETURN TO SCHOOL
COVID-19 & YOUR PRACTICE
- National AAP’s latest critical updates on COVID-19
- National AAP’s Financial Practice Needs and Management tips
- AAP Coding for COVID-19 and Non-Direct Care document
- AAP Telehealth and COVID-19- This webinar offers guidance on how to launch telehealth into practice during COVID-19
- AAP Telehealth
- The Academy is launching a new virtual community for all of us to connect directly with one another about everything related to the novel coronavirus, from the impact on your practice to PPE to telehealth.
- The Academy’s discussion board to facilitate direct peer-to-peer engagement. Share your questions, helpful tips, practice pearls, clinical conundrums or just offer support and encouragement for all of us. In the discussion board you will find:
- Different topics, including: clinical care, diagnosis, PPE, practice management/payment, and telehealth
- A resource library to upload helpful resources you’ve come across that could help your colleagues
- Summary of Federal Stimulus found here
- SmartBreif resource has created a twice-weekly publication dedicated to helping organizations navigate the uncertainty created by the novel coronavirus. If you’re looking for solutions-oriented content, please sign up for SmartBreif’s Special Report on Coronavirus here.
Childcare Decision Tree
School Decision Tree
211sandiego County Testing Sites
Return to Play After Covid-19 Algorithm
Perspectives of San Diego Pediatricians regarding COVID-19 and return to school
Perspectivas de pediatras en San Diego acerca del COVID-19 y el regreso a la escuela
AAP-CA3 COVID-19 Presentation Resource List
- Emergency Loans for Small Businesses from US Chamber Foundation, can be found here.
- US Chamber of Commerce Foundation: Emergency Loans for Small Businesses
- CMA’s Summary of Federal Stimulus
- Gov. Newsom temporarily relaxes scope requirements in anticipation of COVID-19 surge
Gov. Gavin Newsom issued an executive order on Monday easing the path for many health care professionals to practice in an expanded capacity during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- CMS expands accelerated payment program to help physicians with COVID-19 cash flow challenges
CMS has expanded its accelerated and advance payment program for Medicare providers. This expansion is intended to lessen the financial hardships of providers facing extraordinary challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CMA launches COVID-19 webinar series
CMA has launched a series of free webinars to guide physicians through some of the most pressing COVID-19 issues. All webinars will be available for download after the live presentation date.
- AMA publishes telehealth coding guide
AMA has published new resources that provide special coding advice during the COVID-19 public health emergency. One resource outlines coding scenarios designed to help health care professionals apply best coding practices.
- UNDERSTANDING FEDERAL FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Physician practices across California are hurting. On Friday, April 3, CMA will host its latest free webinar with health care financial expert Chris Bell to run down the latest federal incentives available to medical groups and physicians in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. For those who cannot join live, the webinar will be available for download.
- Practice Viability Resources from Texas State Medical Association. First published 2020, Texas Medical Association. Reprinted with permission.
The Department of Health Care Services (DHCS- DHCS COVID-19 resource page) has published additional and/or updated guidance for providers, beneficiaries and the public related to COVID-19:
- Fee-For-Service Prior Authorization – Section 1135 Waiver Flexibilities
- Fee-For-Service Pharmacy – Section 1135 Waiver Flexibilities
- CMS Approves First Wave of CA 1135 Waivers for COVID-19
- Provision of Care in Alternative Settings, Hospital Capacity, and Blanket 1135 Waiver Flexibilities
- Guidance for FPACT Virtual/Telephonic Communications
- FFS and Managed Care Telehealth and Virtual Communication Guidance
- State Fair Hearing Timeframe Changes – Managed Care
- State Fair Hearing Timeframe Changes – Fee For Service
- Notice of Action – COVID-19 Extension
- State Fair Hearing Timeframe Changes – Behavioral Health
- APL 20-004 Emergency Guidance for Medi-Cal Managed Care Health Plans
- Guidance for Medi-Cal Dental Providers
- Flexibility for California Community Transitions
- Guidance Relating to Non-Urgent, Non-Essential or Elective Procedures
- Guidance for Emergency Medi-Cal Provider Enrollment
- Requirements and Procedures for Emergency Medi-Cal Provider Enrollment
- COVID-19 FAQ Medication Assisted Treatment and Telehealth
- Guidance for Family PACT Providers, including Telephonic Client Enrollment and Re-certification
- Guidance for Targeted Case Management Providers
Additional updates will be posted to the DHCS COVID-19 resource page.
- COVID-19 PEDIATRIC CLINIC KEY STRATEGIES (PDF)
- SD County’s COVID-19 Map by Residence COVID-19 Map by Residence
- San Diego County Dept of Public Health- COVID-19: https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/status.html
- County Dept of Public Health: 2:30PM daily update on KPBS (TV and radio) on COVID-19. Eric McDonald, MD is one of the presenters.
- COVID-19 Projection models
- State updates https://covid19.ca.gov/
- To request PPE, email: MOCS.firstname.lastname@example.org
- AAP-CA3 Chapter Town Hall slides– without Dr. Burns or Dr. Taras’ slides
- Updated Q&A Guidance-V10
- For the most recent COVID-19 County information, please see San Diego County COVID-19 page.
- Link to sign up for COVID Watch: link to sign up for COVID Watch
- Most recent edition of COVID watch (05/18/2020), there is a new one each day, so check back on the San Diego County COVID-19 page.
- There will be a teleconference on Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) Associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) on Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11AM. You can sign up here or you may also participate in this COCA Call by joining COCA’s Facebook Live.
- IDSA COVID-19 Guideline DX
- Wellness materials for pediatricians from National AAP, found here.
- Resources from the State: https://covid19.ca.gov/
- Find a licensed cognitive behavioral therapist near you. Many therapists provide online and phone sessions. You can either private pay or bill your insurance.
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress: Sustaining the Well-Being of Healthcare Personnel during Coronavirus
- CDC: Emergency Responders: Tips for taking care of yourself
- Ten Percent Happier: Free app and online resources for health care workers
- The app, Headspace, is now giving the upgraded “plus” version to healthcare providers for free for the rest of the year. Providers have to use their NPI to access.
- CALM, an app, also has free meditation.
- Chopra Center dealing with those overwhelming feelings.
- If you have Spotify (others like Pandora likely have too)- search for “uplifting music”- pop, ocean sounds etc. come up.
- Peloton is offering a free 90 day trial though their app (you don’t need specific equipment or anything).
- The YMCA of San Diego County is offering the County of San Diego a free, virtual exercise program, Studio SWEAT on Demand (SSoD), that offers hundreds of on Demand and live-streamed workouts, for adults and youth, that delivers the same great group exercise experience you receive at the YMCA.
- FREE Yoga Resource
- FREE CorePower Yoga online classes.
- Click here for desk exercises when you find yourself at your desk for an extended period of time, or anytime!
- Mindful Healthcare Collective that is providing FREE support sessions during the Pandemic for Healthcare professionals that I mentioned in the last ACES/TIC meeting. Many of the group of physician coaches.
FOR YOUR FAMILIES
Finding COVID vaccines:
- The state of California launched www.myturn.ca.gov as a central website to find out your eligibility, make an appointment in some jurisdictions, and get notified when it’s your turn.
- The CDC is partnering with Boston Children’s Hospital and Castlight Health, have updated Vaccinefinder.org to focus on COVID. The initial launch has limited data but is expected to expand over the coming weeks.
- NPR created a tool — it’s embedded in this story.
- Finally, www.VaccinateCA.com is a tool created by a group of tech volunteers who call every pharmacy and clinic in the state and post whether they have vaccine available.
- Caring for Each Other< – Sesame Workshop and the Brazelton Touchpoints Center are partnering on a webinar series
- SCRIBD – Free books and audio booksfor 30 days
- The children’s book author Mo Willems is currently doing an artist in residency program at the Kennedy Center and is teaching children how to draw, Click here. Daily drawing time at 10AM PST.
- The actor and father Josh Gad (Olaf from “Frozen”) has started #GadBookClub on Fridays. He reads books to children on Instagram @joshgad, and you can also access via the hashtag after the livestream.
- The actress Natalie Morales reads several chapters of Scholastic recommended “The Little Prince”. She can be found on Instagram @nataliemoralesloves
- Coronavirus a Book for Children
- The County of San Diego has created a text alert system for COVID-19 info. To start receiving alerts and updates, please text: COSD COVID19 to 468-311
- Keep informed about all California COVID-19 activities at the new consumer-friendly website www.Covid19.CA.Gov and the DHCS COVID-19 response webpage.
- News release on managing stress and child discipline
- News release on managing children’s media use
- Positive Parenting & COVID-19: 10 Tips to Help Keep the Calm at Home
- Social Distancing: Why Keeping Your Distance Helps Keep Others Safe
- Working and Learning from Home During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Hand Washing: A Powerful Antidote to Illness
- Talking to Children About Tragedies & Other News Events
- Ask the Pediatrician: Are there shortages of infant formula due to COVID-19?
- COVID-19: Information for Families of Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs
- Coping with a New Baby During COVID-19
The National Domestic Violence Hotline has an online chat available at https://www.thehotline.org(or text LOVEIS to 22522). Victims also can call the hotline at 1-800-799-7233. The San Diego District Attorney’s Office has resources available to help victims and survivors in the San Diego region during the pandemic. A new website offers information in English and Spanish on free local services, along with an anonymous quiz that determines one’s risk for domestic violence.
San Diego County also has the first-ever Family Justice Center, which opened in 2002. While the physical office is currently closed due to the COVID-19 crisis, Family Justice Center staff are working and continue to assist with planning, advocacy, and connecting individuals to community resources. Family Justice Center staff can be reached at (619) 533-6000. To view a comprehensive list of resources in our area, click here.
The California Surgeon General’s Playbook: Stress Relief During COVID-19 offers stress management information, specific “stress busting” strategies that can be used at home, and a self-care template for adults.
The California Surgeon General’s Playbook: Stress Relief for Caregivers and Kids During COVID-19offers information on stress management for kids, specific “stress busting” strategies, and a self-care template for kids.
An All Plan Letter for Medi-Cal managed care health plans on Mitigating Health Impacts of Secondary Stress Due to the COVID-19 Emergency.
Guidance for Medi-Cal fee-for-service providers on Mitigating Health Impacts of Secondary Stress Due to the COVID-19 Emergency.
Get free Clear face masks for families and patients with special needs or hard of hearing.
- SDG&E (sdge.com/coronavirus) announcement of the San Diego COVID-19 Community Response Fund (English and Spanish) Post Link is here
- SDG&E announcement regarding our temporary suspension of service disconnections (Spanish) . Post link is here
- SDG&E have programs to help our customers in need. Help us get the word out on our assistance programs: CARE, FERA and Medical Baseline programs: sdge.com/assistance
- FREE Internet Access to qualifying homes with students. Call 1-844-579-3743 to enroll.
- COMCAST is also offering free internet to familie
Direct your patients to tools and resources to help people deal with fear, anxiety, and stress brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, such as these:
- ACEs Aware Self-Care tools
- CDC coronavirus stress management online resource
- Helping Children Deal with Stress- Tip Sheet
- Cloth Face Coverings for Children
- Masks and Children During COVID 19
- Homemade Medical Face Mask CDC
- Template for Medical Face Mask PDF
- California Surgeon General’s Playbook: Stress Relief for Caregivers and Kids during COVID-19
- Tips to Maintain your Mental Health during COVID-19